Clock to Rock - Big Ben, London to the rock of Gibraltar 2nd -19th September 2011

Paul Beven & Jane Kennet are cycling to Gibraltar for the British Heart Foundation. Our target is to raise £12,000. We are hoping to keep you up to date with our training and fund raising progress so far via this blog. Signals and stamina permitting with any luck we can post along the actual journey too. Sponsor us now by clicking this link to our JustGiving page or email me if you prefer. LATEST NEWS - Despite the BHF postponing their official trip until sometime in 2012 we are pressing ahead with an independent trip of our own although the BHF are providing some assistance to us to help us on our way.



CLICK HERE TO TRACK OUR POSITION TRACKED BY THE LATEST FROM OUR TWITTER FEEDS



Thursday 28 July 2011

Day 5 - LEJoG

Our fifth day on the road started with breakfast shared with bunch of trainer pilots in Cheddar to do some technical exams. I declined the FEB (Full English Breakfast) although Gary ate his. Oh how glad I was that I made that decision when a few minutes later we were on the now obligatory climb of the morning. This time it was a 3 mile climb up Cheddar Gorge. I was thankful I didn't have a stomach full of fried food! Gary was a shade of green when he made it to the top.






The ride then wove it's way between fields. The cows and sheep meadows becoming more frequently interspersed with fields of cereal crops.






Pretty villages and this fantastic little house perched on a triangle of grass in the middle of a T-junction.





Whilst waiting for Gazza to appear at the top of a hill I chatted to a man who was painting a phone box. He told me how it was given up by BT as only one call a year was made from it. Their village had bought it and taken it over. There was no phone inside but they intended to use it for parish notices and local news! How Cool is that. It wasn't the only phone box I saw today getting some TLC. A true British Icon in my opinion and how nice to see them being preserved.







On we rode through fields and pastures until we reached the familiar sight of one of Sustrans flagship cycle routes, the Bristol to Bath cycle-route.






Sustrans is a charitable engineering company responsible for building and maintaining the National cycle network. They are a charity I support each month and have done a fabulous job creating cycle routes for all across the country. This route was really well used with people of all ages. Alongside the path runs an old steam train taking people of pleasure trips up and down the restored line.






A quick stop here to stock up on cake, (I'm not letting the side down IT, keeping cake intake high, I promise)






Also to send a Tweet to Dan timed to appear during his dissertation project presentation and then we were back on our way.

Having skirted east around Bristol we arrived at the Severn Bridge crossing. There is apparently a public footpath across the bridge (the old one to Chepstow) so no tolls to pay. Having expected high winds it was surprisingly calm. The only movement coming from the bridge itself every time a lorry went past.












So we briefly entered Wales before heading north through Chepstow and back to England and up the Wye Valley. This was my first experience of this part of the world. It's stunningly beautiful and highly recommended. We spent much of our time running alongside the river Wye. Passing through Tintern Abbey amongst other villages.












Running alongside a river? Wait that doesn't involve hills, oh ok then here we go, off up and over a seemingly random hill to a village called St Briavels. This involved the longest most painful climb yet I think and everytime I turned a corner expecting to see the summit it just turned and kicked up again, and again and again. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry and by the time I did reach the top I could laugh out-loud and i did, hysterical laughter at the ridiculousness of that hill. I lay on the verge and waited for Gary to walk up. He had of course done the sensible thing.












Yes it was a god view I'll admit but I didn't really need to be able to see northern France I was quite enjoying the Wye valley for heavens sake Mr route planner!

Another county passed and before we knew it we were into Herefordshire.






We are staying tonight in a room with a turret at the Sunnymount hotel and took up their recommendation of a meal in the Gurka restaurant. If you are ever in Ross on Wye it's a must. The most delicious food so far on this trip. Coconut Lassi without the calorie guilt. Perfect.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Homs Rd,Ross-on-Wye,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment