Clock to Rock - Big Ben, London to the rock of Gibraltar 2nd -19th September 2011

Paul Beven & Jane Kennet are cycling to Gibraltar for the British Heart Foundation. Our target is to raise £12,000. We are hoping to keep you up to date with our training and fund raising progress so far via this blog. Signals and stamina permitting with any luck we can post along the actual journey too. Sponsor us now by clicking this link to our JustGiving page or email me if you prefer. LATEST NEWS - Despite the BHF postponing their official trip until sometime in 2012 we are pressing ahead with an independent trip of our own although the BHF are providing some assistance to us to help us on our way.



CLICK HERE TO TRACK OUR POSITION TRACKED BY THE LATEST FROM OUR TWITTER FEEDS



Monday 17 January 2011

OK thats it... we signed up so its almost official.

Last Friday evening Paul and I signed our application forms and sent them in the post to the British Heart Foundation to request our place on their inaugural ride to Gibraltar. Starting at Big Ben in London (Clock) on the 2nd of September and ending in Gibraltar (Rock) on the 19th September. Thats about 1500 odd miles to ride in total with daily rides of just over 100 miles. Occasional 130 milers and a couple of days of less than 100. Phew!

Part of me is absolutely terrified. Terrified about the sheer distance and getting up everyday to do the same thing over and over and over again. the half of me is like a child in a sweetshop at the thought of just being on my bike for 2 weeks surrounded by friends and supporters of the cause all with the aim to see us succeed. Then there is the fundraising. £6000 each to be raised. Gulp. I don't even know how to break that down and manage it. I need some serious planning and inspiration there.

I have to start planning and like all these challenges and events, its about getting my head around what needs to be done then actioning them so here are my immediate thoughts,
  1. Lose 2 Stone in weight..! Those hills will seem much smaller and I am quite sure there are more than a few Ditchling Beacon equivalents to be climbed along the way. 
  2. Work out which bike to ride and make sure its fit to ride.
  3. Plan some charity events and pester all my friends and family.. watch out, here I come..
  4. Make a training plan with some multi day high mileage rides built in somewhere. 
  5. Book the annual leave. 
So where to start....? 

Well I went to a bike show today at Excel and rode past the Olympic stadium hoping for inspiration. Does that count?



At the bike show i discovered TorQ Gels new Rhubarb and Custard flavour energy gels. Yum. I'll definitely be taking some of those with me. As for the Olympic Park, it was interesting to see it but its such a building site still.  Although not too long to go and i really hope that when the time comes i can get some tickets to the Velodrome and the Athletics with luck. 

So thats 30 miles today. A gentle start to my training and a good way to end the week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment