Clock to Rock - Big Ben, London to the rock of Gibraltar 2nd -19th September 2011

Paul Beven & Jane Kennet are cycling to Gibraltar for the British Heart Foundation. Our target is to raise £12,000. We are hoping to keep you up to date with our training and fund raising progress so far via this blog. Signals and stamina permitting with any luck we can post along the actual journey too. Sponsor us now by clicking this link to our JustGiving page or email me if you prefer. LATEST NEWS - Despite the BHF postponing their official trip until sometime in 2012 we are pressing ahead with an independent trip of our own although the BHF are providing some assistance to us to help us on our way.



CLICK HERE TO TRACK OUR POSITION TRACKED BY THE LATEST FROM OUR TWITTER FEEDS



Sunday 23 January 2011

Lessons in Humanity...

Several things happened this week that made me stop and think how relatively small acts by others can make such an enormous difference to the way we see the world. Its making me feel as though there is a chance that with enough work and effort we will reach our fundraising goals.

Here's what happened.

Dean is one of Healix's newest employees. He's an administrator in Healix International and purchased a new bicycle using the cycle to work scheme in order that he can save himself the £30 cost of public transport each week. We made sure he had his bike in time for Christmas day. It was the only way for him to easily make sure he was at work on the 25th December. However on the 28th December he left work to find that someone had stolen his brand new bike from where it had been locked in front of the building.

Luckily his bike had been parked within sight of the CCTV and we managed to get some decent footage of the theft occurring. Police were notified and we created and circulated posters around the town with CCTV images showing the offenders. Local shops displayed our posters happily. We were delighted when one was identified by an off duty policeman and within days all three offenders were known to Police. Sadly the bike wasnt recovered and Dean was left with paying every month for the next year for a bike he no longer owned. So a slightly shallow victory.

Buying a new bike for £399 pounds is a lot for someone on a modest salary. However when I worked out that if everyone at Healix chipped in £2.95 or thereabouts we would have enough to replace the bike. Could it work? I emailed the suggestion to my colleagues and sat back to await the response. Well it was incredible. within minutes I had amassed more than £100 and people were more than happy to donate often considerably more than their suggested £2.95. It was truly humbling.

Someone (a junior member of staff) emptied her pockets of all the change she had. Others said "I am not sure which one Dean is but here take this £5". WOW...! It was amazing. The original bike had been supplied by Birdie Bikes in Hampton. I called Adam the manager and asked him if I bought a new bike and took it boxed and built it myself could I please access a small discount to make our fund raising task a little easier? "No problem" he said "Of course you can have a discount and don't worry we will build the bike for you anyway". Oh the beauty of a Local Bike Shop (LBS). Fabulous. Thanks guys, you are the best.

And so last Wednesday we presented Dean with his new bike. It was quite emotional and truly inspiring. What a fabulous group of people I work with.


There are three people out there somewhere who were responsible for that theft. They may have unlocked a bike but I bet they are unaware that they also unlocked the power of the human spirit and reinforced the bonds that make us all part of the Healix family.

Oh and Healix (the company) bought a decent lock that might protect the new bike a little longer we hope.

That wasnt the only surprising event though. On Friday there was an email in my inbox from someone who I believe to be my half second cousin...! (yes its complicated), I think I worked that out ok. Its someone I have heard my father mention often but whom I haven't met since I was a toddler and that I promise you is quite some time ago. Tom Daly lives in Portugal now but was writing to me to offer sponsorship. I have to admit it made me cry. That someone who is now so far removed from my live in so many ways is willing to donate to the cause was overwhelmingly touching. I am so grateful that there are people out there who understand how tough a challenge this is and are prepared to go out of their way to help.

George Buckham I thank you too. Money from two Scots in a week. Heavens what's happened ;-) That goes against all stereotypes doesnt it? Ha ha ha..

So I ended the week on a high. Inspired to pursue my targets and not willing to let the sleepless night and worry of Thursday stand in the way (I couldn't stop tossing and turning at the thought of £6000).

As of today its £5930 to go...!

Oh and my other training, here's an update....
  • 2lbs of fat lost
  • 12 miles of running
  • 70 miles cycled.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely couple of stories to be reading at nearly three in the morning!Trully inspirational. The common denominator in both stories being you!! Great Blob x

    ReplyDelete