Clock to Rock - Big Ben, London to the rock of Gibraltar 2nd -19th September 2011

Paul Beven & Jane Kennet are cycling to Gibraltar for the British Heart Foundation. Our target is to raise £12,000. We are hoping to keep you up to date with our training and fund raising progress so far via this blog. Signals and stamina permitting with any luck we can post along the actual journey too. Sponsor us now by clicking this link to our JustGiving page or email me if you prefer. LATEST NEWS - Despite the BHF postponing their official trip until sometime in 2012 we are pressing ahead with an independent trip of our own although the BHF are providing some assistance to us to help us on our way.



CLICK HERE TO TRACK OUR POSITION TRACKED BY THE LATEST FROM OUR TWITTER FEEDS



Monday 22 August 2011

A few words from Paul...

My first post for a long time, and last one before we set off on Friday. Unfortunately this lack of communication hasn't been as a result of long hours training, more a case of lots of other stuff going on including a holiday (I like to think of it as warm-weather training). So in comparison to Jane (Land's End to John O'Groats), Chris (2 weeks hard core biking & mountain-biking in Switzerland) and Jeff (a chunk of the Tour de France as far as I can make out) I am seriously undercooked. Mind you Matthew, my 18-year old son, has done even less but does have youth on his side. And at least I haven't peaked too early.

I think most of the planning has been done. Fund-raising has been a great success thanks largely to Jane, and we are on schedule for a 7am departure from the north end of Westminster Bridge on Friday - say hello/goodbye if you are in the area. The liveried cars will be there, proudly festooned with bike racks and roofboxes, and we are hoping for 20+ outriders for the first 1% of the trip, as far as the office in Hampton for a bacon sarnie. From there we will thin down to about a dozen for the rest of Day 1 to Portsmouth, via a pub in Chiddingfold for lunch. Only the intrepid few catch the ferry to Caen......

I am really looking forward to this now. My worries are, in no particular order, my knee (giving me a bit of gip), hills, headwinds, and chafing. And did I mention chafing? Buy shares in Assos cream now.

No comments:

Post a Comment