Clock to Rock - Big Ben, London to the rock of Gibraltar 2nd -19th September 2011

Paul Beven & Jane Kennet are cycling to Gibraltar for the British Heart Foundation. Our target is to raise £12,000. We are hoping to keep you up to date with our training and fund raising progress so far via this blog. Signals and stamina permitting with any luck we can post along the actual journey too. Sponsor us now by clicking this link to our JustGiving page or email me if you prefer. LATEST NEWS - Despite the BHF postponing their official trip until sometime in 2012 we are pressing ahead with an independent trip of our own although the BHF are providing some assistance to us to help us on our way.



CLICK HERE TO TRACK OUR POSITION TRACKED BY THE LATEST FROM OUR TWITTER FEEDS



Wednesday 29 June 2011

P = MV.... The momentum is gathering...

Last Saturday marked Healix's first charity summer ball. It was held in a marquee in Paul's garden and featured entertainment by a band made up of numerous musicians drummed up by Mark Payne. They entertained the crowds  but only after a sumptuous 3 course feast provided by Orange Yard Catering under the care and attention of Barry Scarborough. The food I can honestly say was the best event waitress served food I have ever eaten. You will not find a better catering company in my opinion. I am almost looking for an idea for another event just so we can get them back.  Yummy.

We were all far too busy having a nice time to take many pictures so there is little photographic evidence of the event however here are some snaps of the organising committee setting up (AKA the Beven family and Sasha Hill) and also the meal in progress.


The weather was on our side and the sun came out in time for a champagne reception while we plied the 80 plus guests with alcohol, Paul's daughter Ella and her co partner Lauren Hudson smiled sweetly and sold thousands of raffle tickets. So good were they that we had to make our own when we sold out of 2 books worth. Excellent work girls. 

Matthew, Nicolas and his friends ran the bar and made the most dashing barmen I have seen in a while, no wonder they had queues of women lining up to buy more champagne. 

A good night was had by all and only got even better when the band offered up the chance to front the band to sing Mustang Sally. We were a timid crowd and rather than anyone vying to sing everyone responded well to Charlie Butchers mafia type tactics to extort money by threatening most people with nomination unless they paid up to his campaign to get Paul Beven to sing. I can see why Charlie is the Healix groups Financial Controller. He raised a staggering £640 within a matter of minutes.
We haven't yet managed to do the accounts to come up with a firm total for that raised but it was a significant sum and I promise to update the blog with that figure as soon as I find out the total. 

On Friday before the ball we made a decision to make a donation from the proceeds to the SANDS charity. One of our dear friends and colleagues suffered a very unexpected and tragic loss of their new born son last week. We hope that none of our supporters will mind this diversion of funds to another worthwhile cause. It just seemed like the least we could do for them under the circumstances. Our thoughts and prayers are with them both at this unbearable time. 

On a happier note a couple of things i noticed over the last week made me smile alot. Sometimes you realise the momentum and energy of charity events and fund raising runs deep into all areas of the community and society. Its a way to help teach our children that they must think of others as well as themselves. An important message in a materially obsessed world. This message by involving them in the events seeps in hopefully and becomes the accepted norm.

Two things made me realise that there were children involved in events taking notice of what was happening and it just helped reinforce to me the reasons why I like to do these things. 

At the end of the car wash Keira Walker gave me this beautiful picture that she had sat and drawn for me. It illustrates our bike ride and what an amazing work of art. It has pride of place next to my bed. Thanks Keira :-)
Then on Sunday morning I made my way back to the marquee and spent a few hours clearing up the tables and the mess that was the remains of the party. I had to smile again as I noticed this on the table. 



Paul tells me it was Ella who created it. A beautiful recreation of the British Heart Foundation logo made from the heart table confetti... 

The week was to get even better though. On numerous occasions this week I have heard my favourite sound..the noise of pennies dropping on a table that my phone makes when a donation is received with JustGiving. We have taken approximately £1400 in other donations, some from individuals and some from companies who have been kind enough to support us. THANK YOU ALL.

A fantastic week and the momentum feels as though its mounting up, with luck it will carry us south as far as  Gibraltar...

PS PB coming home tonight, 45 mins I think that might be my best ever. Training is clearly paying dividends. It felt great, I could have continued to Dover without stopping. Boy I love my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment