Clock to Rock - Big Ben, London to the rock of Gibraltar 2nd -19th September 2011

Paul Beven & Jane Kennet are cycling to Gibraltar for the British Heart Foundation. Our target is to raise £12,000. We are hoping to keep you up to date with our training and fund raising progress so far via this blog. Signals and stamina permitting with any luck we can post along the actual journey too. Sponsor us now by clicking this link to our JustGiving page or email me if you prefer. LATEST NEWS - Despite the BHF postponing their official trip until sometime in 2012 we are pressing ahead with an independent trip of our own although the BHF are providing some assistance to us to help us on our way.



CLICK HERE TO TRACK OUR POSITION TRACKED BY THE LATEST FROM OUR TWITTER FEEDS



Monday 2 May 2011

A general update

WOW, life has been pretty busy of late. Mostly with fun things unrelated to cycling and charity work..! We went on holiday for a week and took a narrowboat on the Grand Union Canal from Napton to Foxton. It was a lovely relaxed week and we certainly picked the right week for it weather wise. It certainly made up for the rain we endured on our first trip in August.

So what's happening now that I am back and weddings and bank holidays etc. are all coming to an end...?

Tube Station collections - 7th May & 4th June
Well next Saturday I shall be shaking my red bucket all day in Knightsbridge on another tube station collection. Perhaps all this recent goodwill over the royals etc will help put people in the mood for a bit of loose change donation. I have a target to beat after Pimlico and if I stay there all day perhaps I might beat our last efforts in Pimlico. I have also been given a date in June at Balham tube station so they should be great earners for us with luck and if its anything like the last day surprisingly enjoyable too.

Hampton Dog Show - 15th May
Things are progressing well for the dog show in Sunday in 2 weeks. The beautiful rosettes have arrived. We have Stan Rawlinson coming to judge the classes and do some on the spot training and behavioural clinics for dogs and their owners! Fabulous, thanks Stan for your help. So things are well underway there and don't forget to come along with your family pooch for a chance of one of the lovely rosettes. Gary from Seemephotography will be there to photograph all the winning dogs and owners as well as general shots of the show.

Summer Ball - 25th June 
This is progressing well with more than 90% of the tickets reserved, the marquee booked and the caterers coming to talk on Saturday.  We are pretty happy with the way its shaping up. Should be a good night. I have even allowed myself to think for a few minutes about what dress to wear. There are a few more things to do their though and focus will swing that way after the dog show no doubt. We do have some fantastic Auction and raffle prizes though. I can't say too much at this stage but intercontinental plane tickets for 2 is just one of the fabulous lots up for auction.

Fire Station Car Wash - Saturday 18th June
Ann Walker my long time friend and old school chum has managed to bag us a slot at the Saffron Walden Fire Station washing cars on Saturday 18th June. If you are in town that day don't forget to call in for a quick wash and brush up. If you fancy joining the team to help with the washes drop me a line. The more the merrier. I am looking forward to that one too. I hope its a nice day for splashing around with the hoses.

Street collection & Cake stall - 16th July and 23rd July
I have, with the help of Ma & Pa Kennet secured a permit to take my bicycle down with the rollers and churn a few miles out in the market square in Saffron Walden as we perform a street collection with the buckets and tins. At last an event where I can do some training at the same time, although I suppose the car wash could be considered to be cross training. Saturday the 23rd will be a cake stall outside Boots for those of you who know Saffron Walden. Mum has recruited half the town to make cakes to sell, which she will then persuade them all to buy bakc at hoplessly inflated prices with any luck :-) This is where we have a problem. It was the first date available when mum booked it and clashes with day number one of a Lands End to John O'Groats bike ride that we are undertaking. that leads me on to the next event....

Lands End John O'Groats Cycle - 23rd July- 5th August
Its Gary's 50th birthday and his idea to ride this route. I am really looking forward to the challenge as it will represent the longest ride to date for me and will be fantastic training and practice for 'Clock to Rock'. Its a ride I have always wanted to do and when better to do it than now? We have the B&B's booked for the whole route and am just waiting on train companies to accept bookings before we can be happy we have that sorted. It will be a great opportunity to call in on some good friends in Shrewsbury, Preston and Edinburgh too. I hope we don't fall asleep in our soup and can manage some social time. I have purposely planned shorter days where we have friends so as to be able to enjoy those bits. It needs to be a fun ride after all and we have a significant birthday to rub in acknowledge. :-)

So thats what I have been up too...!

As for the training, I am hoping that with these various events underway we shall be able to turn our focus to the bike riding. The weather has been perfect for riding although i have managed frustratingly little of late. However in 2 weeks my Bianchi bike frame will be back after its respray and the new SRAM groupset will go on (I bought Apex to give me some hope of getting over the Pyrenees) then you wont be able to stop me riding. My current ride (Ribble) is limping along with one worn out ergo-shifter so my gears are somewhat limited. London is fine but i don't think i could get over the Beacon on a ride to Brighton with it currently.

I have been keeping a few runs going to add some extra aerobic training and Kirsty has promised to run twice a week with me for the next 2 weeks. She wants to get fit and the only way to see improvement is to stick at it for a few weeks. There's a trip to Sweatshop and some proper running shoes in it for her if she sticks it out. I hope she does it.

Sorry to not update for so long but hopefully you can see it hasn't all been as a result of holidays but a bit of work too. I'll let you know how Saturday goes. If you are off to Harrods on Saturday do remember to look out for me with my red bucket.

Cheers

Jane

PS A big Thank You to Paul Finegan who made my birthday extra special with a fabulous donation to match my age...i.e a fantastically large amount! It just goes to prove every cloud has a silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment